Every year, Cairde Rince Céilí na hÉireann organises several one-day courses in preparation for the qualifying exams for céilí dance teachers An Teastas i dTeagasc Rince Céilí.
- All dances from Ár Rincí Foirne with particular emphasis on how to teach them
- Sample written questions
- Trial music tests
- The full range of steps required for céilí dancing and how to teach them
- Practical teaching of steps and movements
- Teaching techniques
- Class planning
- Class management
- Material i.e. handout and audio tape, to assist with preparation for oral Irish
THE EXAM CONSISTS OF:
- Written test on all 30 dances published in Ár Rincí Foirne.
- Music test - candidates are required to recognise music for such dances as Sweets of May, Trip to the Cottage etc.
- Performance and teaching of steps.
- Teaching of movements - usually one short easy dance and one or more movements from a more difficult dance.
- Oral Irish - based on basic greetings, the names of the dances and some basic terminology.
- Each one-day training course costs €15 (£12 stg.).
- The exam fee is €50 (£40 stg.). No fee applies to repeat candidates.
HOW TO APPLY:
- Anyone with some knowledge of céilí dancing interested in attending the one-day courses is welcome to do so. Prior booking is essential with the national secretary. Dates of courses are published on www.ceilidancing.com, are circulated to all clubs and at all céilithe.
- Those wishing to sit the qualifying exam should have attended at least one training course. Application forms for the exam will be circulated to those who have been attending training courses.
Recently qualified teacher Helen Caffrey of the Brian O'Higgins club, Kilskyre, Co. Meath with club members and National Chairman Tom Marry